The Sports Performance Department aims to keep student-athletes safe and capable of competing through the use of evidence-based Sports Medicine and the implementation of sport-specific Strength and Conditioning programs.
Castilleja Sports Medicine works to help student-athletes reach their full potential through preventing, diagnosing, and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, as well as through using rehabilitation. The Sports Medicine Staff is dedicated to helping student-athletes return to competition in the safest manner possible. Standards will be set forth by Castilleja School, the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA), the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) sports medicine guidelines, and the West Bay Athletic League.
Examples of skills routinely used for rehabilitation services:
- Manual therapy (massage, joint mobilization, proprioceptive techniques, muscle energy techniques)
- Techniques to restore joint range of motion and muscle extensibility
- Exercises to improve strength, endurance, speed, and power
- Proprioceptive activities to improve balance, neuromuscular control, and coordination
- Agility training
- Exercises to improve cardiorespiratory fitness
- Sport-specific and/or functional exercises
- Modalities such as cryo/thermotherapy agents, electrical stimulatuion, therapeutic ultrasound, and cupping
Strength & Conditioning
The mission of Castilleja Strength and Conditioning is in alliance with our Castilleja Mission and grounded in our Athletics Core Values. We are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence. Our competitive athletes are provided with the means to develop both on and off the field. Student-athletes will improve performance, decrease the likelihood of injuries, and develop mental and physical toughness to help lead them to a successful career.
Each program is tailored specifically to each individual athlete to meet the demands of her sport and position, with a goal of maximizing her athletic potential. Methods include strength, speed, flexibility, aerobic, anaerobic, agility, and plyometrics.