Castilleja Director of Sports Performance, Health Services and Athletic Training
(Maternity Leave – August 2019 until approximately January 2020)
Castilleja is seeking a temporary full-time Certified Athletic Trainer for a maternity replacement starting the beginning of August 2019 through the beginning of January 2020. Castilleja School educates young women to become compassionate leaders and global citizens. Experienced Castilleja teachers, coaches, and advisors tailor classroom instruction and co-curricular programming to the unique needs of girls, creating an incomparable environment for girls to thrive.
The Sports Medicine Department at Castilleja functions to serve both the Middle and Upper School (Grades 6-12) student-athletes by ensuring optimal health and performance through the continuous pursuit of evidence-based research and application of best practices in the field of sports medicine. The Sports Medicine Department’s mission is to allow student-athlete’s to reach their full potential through preventing, diagnosing, and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, as well as rehabilitation. The Sports Medicine Staff is dedicated to helping student-athletes return to competition as soon as and in the safest manner possible. Standards will be set forth by Castilleja, the National Athletic Trainer’s Association (NATA), the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) sports medicine guidelines, and the West Bay Athletic League (WBAL). This position strong interpersonal and communications skills to develop effective working relationships with athletes and serve as a liaison among athletes, coaching staff, parents, physicians and other health professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversight and responsibility for coordination of school-wide health services for all students.
- Recognition, evaluation, and immediate care of injuries and illnesses for entire school, in particular orthopedic sports injuries.
- Administrative Work: Immunization tracking/reporting, phone calls/emails to parents/employees/healthcare professionals. Perform medical, insurance and other record keeping functions using a laptop.
- Rehabilitations: Rehabilitation and reconditioning of athletic and non-athletic related injuries.
- Treatments: Modality and hands on treatment of injuries.
- Travel: Sports coverage for home and away competition events.
- Strength & Conditioning/Injury Prevention: Coordinated efforts in overseeing the Sports Performance Department that will focus on a strength and conditioning program design and implementation for student-athletes involving education and instruction on proper lifting technique, running mechanics, speed development, agility training, individualized and sport specific training, dryland conditioning aerobic/anaerobic concepts, aquatic conditioning plans, flexibility and recovery methods, as well as nutritional consultation.
- Graduate Assistant ATC: Managing and educating Graduate Assistant through proper protocols in accordance to Castilleja and NATA guidelines.
- Cleaning: Laundry, wiping down equipment, cleaning water bottles/coolers, keeping fitness center tidy.
- Game Operations: Setting up chairs/tables/equipment for home game events, filling water bottles/coolers/ice for home and away events, helping make sure operations are running smoothly.
- Communication/Meetings: Athletic Department, parents, students, administration, physicians, etc.
- Ability to effectively assess and evaluate injuries and their severity.
- Develop conditioning and rehabilitation programs and manage and treat injuries.
- Use the full range of appropriate therapeutic modalities and treatments and rehabilitation and exercise equipment to treat and prevent injuries. Determine the appropriate referrals for athletes to other health care professionals.
- Recognize life threatening situations and administer/resource the appropriate emergency aid.
- Bachelor’s degree in athletic training, kinesiology or related field of study required.
- Masters degree preferred. Coursework must include completion of the Board of Certification (BOC) curriculum requirements and have passed and hold a current Board Certification.
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED Certification required.
Please send cover letter and resume along with a completed and signed Castilleja application to email@example.com. Please use AthleticTrainer in the subject of your email. Please do not forward to individuals at Castilleja as we cannot guarantee proper response or distribution that way.