BOURN LAB DIRECTOR
As Castilleja’s primary makerspace, design studio, and robotics lab, the Bourn Idea Lab is a key component of Castilleja’s vision for the 21st century. We believe that student-centered inquiry is at the core of student learning and that in the BIL students gain creative competence and hands-on practice in turning abstract concepts into physical reality and prototypes. Named in memory of Doug Bourn, the lab is outfitted with an assortment of digital fabrication equipment, traditional shop tools, and a wide variety of materials.
Our model is deeply integrative and classroom-based: faculty collaborate with the Lab educators to create projects that support their specific learning outcomes. Established co-curricular programs support individual exploration and student-driven projects. The Bourn Lab staff also play an important role in helping faculty develop the skills and conceptual understandings of constructionist education.
You are an educator and technology enthusiast who wants to empower girls to design and create innovative solutions to today’s problems. You have a passion for experiential learning and collaboration. This is a full-time position with huge potential for growth and leadership development.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching and Curriculum Development
- Work with teachers across all curriculum areas and grade levels to design project-based learning opportunities for students that can be integrated into core classes, flexible learning periods, and other venues
- Identify new opportunities to integrate making into subjects
- Support middle school coding activities during electives rotations, flexible learning periods, etc.
- Design co-curricular programming, such as Maker Fridays, MS electives, senior mini-courses
- Educate students and faculty on the use of design thinking and problem solving
- Coordinate making, digital fabrication, and design curriculum development and education in both the middle and upper school
- Collaborate with Castilleja’s Institutional Researcher to create and design tools and best practices for assessment of hands-on learning
- Design and teach the Middle School Robotics program
Professional Development and Outreach
- Design and run workshops for teachers internally at Castilleja at various times during the school year, such as Opening Week, faculty meetings, Office hours, Design Do Discover, other workshops.
- Oversee the Bourn Fellows program, a year-long professional development fellowship for Castilleja teachers
- Research external professional development opportunities related to making, digital fabrication, design thinking, and/or STEM education, and publicize these opportunities to Castilleja faculty
- Organize and plan the annual Design, Do, Discover summer institute, in partnership with Marymount School of New York (hosted in Palo Alto and NYC in alternate years)
- Represent Castilleja at relevant conferences and events, e.g. Maker Faire, FabLearn and contribute to Makerspace blogosphere
- Promote the lab and its use through the school’s various communication channels, including website, social media, etc.
Administration and Lab management
- Oversee the daily functioning of the Bourn Idea Lab and Tinkering Nook, including workflows, scheduling, inventory, purchasing, maintenance and repairs
- Manage the Bourn Lab/Tinkering Nook team, including lab volunteers and student assistants
- Ensure a consistent lab presence during school hours
Skills and experience: (You will be considered if you have a subset of the following):
- BA/BS and/or industry experience in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, or other technology-related field required; advanced degree preferred.
- Enjoys mentoring teens and facilitating learning experiences in a student-centered environment.
- Enthusiasm for all-girls education.
- Models a “maker’s mindset” (flexible, open-minded, curious) and possesses a positive demeanor and curiosity-fueled attitude for a diverse spectrum of making and maker-centric learning experiences.
- Enthusiasm to jump in to assist the team towards shared goals whenever needed.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Facility with electronics, mechanical devices, shop tools, coding, and/or other technologies, and willingness to learn new tools, applications, and approaches.
- Proficiency with modern collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Google calendar, learning management systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate productively with parents, volunteers, temporary employees, and other adults contributing to BIL programming.
Please send cover letter, resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use BournLabDIR in the subject of your email. Please do not forward to individuals at Castilleja as we cannot guarantee proper response or distribution.