Math Teacher, Middle School Full-Time (Fall only)
Castilleja School offers an enriching, comprehensive and strategic Math curriculum to prepare our students for the challenges of the 21st century. Our courses emphasize the conceptual understanding of mathematical ideas and the development of key analytical skills in a supportive environment that encourages student inquiry, engagement, and wonder. This rigorous, explorative experience encourages our students to appreciate the power and beauty of mathematical ideas. We seek applicants with a growth mindset, a proven track record in the ability to differentiate instruction, and an understanding of the uniqueness of Middle School students.
The Math teacher reports to the Math Department Chair and works closely with other math teachers within the program. The Math teacher is responsible for planning and developing course lesson plans, collaborating with co-teachers, providing mathematical support to students in a variety of settings, and following established institutional guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organizes, constructs, and communicates lessons clearly including a course syllabus and daily lesson plans
- Collaborates with co-teachers, department colleagues, grade level colleagues, and department head to deliver a program that is consistent with school-wide expectations and standards
- Utilizes challenging, thoughtful, fair, and varied tools appropriate to the objectives of the course for assessing student progress and evaluating student achievement
- Incorporates appropriate and varied methods, materials, and technologies into teaching
- Includes topics appropriate to the developmental needs and the age of students being taught
- Returns students’ work in a timely fashion with prescriptive comments
- Stresses effective oral and written communication in all classes, and encourages careful listening skills
- Understands and values the uniqueness of the Middle School student
- Engages and encourages students in the active process of learning
- Holds high expectations for all students and communicates these expectations clearly and regularly
- Treats students equitably, is sincerely interested in them as individuals, and responds to their needs
- Actively engages in the life of the school as a student advisor, team member, and elective sponsor
- Prior teaching experience in Middle School Math is required
- B.S. in Mathematics or related fields (Engineering, Computer Science), or equivalent experience
- Committed to academic excellence, exceptional teaching, and providing a dynamic climate for lifelong learning
- Clear commitment to enabling each student to succeed
Please send cover letter, resume and Castilleja application to email@example.com. Please use MathMS in the subject of your email. Please do not forward to individuals at Castilleja as we cannot guarantee proper response or distribution that way.