Upper School History-Social Science Teacher 2019-20 - 75% time
Castilleja seeks to hire an enthusiastic and experienced Upper School history-social science teacher with a background in World history or regional studies. The ideal candidate will be a scholar committed to contributing broadly to the department and to Castilleja.
Castilleja School is an all-girls school dedicated to excellence in educating young women and in cultivating young leaders. The History-Social Science Department believes that a deep understanding of the past provides a sophisticated lens to understand the present and view the future. It seeks to inspire in Castilleja students a love of learning in general and of the humanities in particular. It offers students required and elective courses appropriate to their developmental levels. It offers the basic courses in world and United States history as well as area studies, economics, international relations, political science, psychology, and philosophy.
The Department believes that Castilleja graduates should be well-versed in history and social science disciplines and also be effective communicators. To that end, students have opportunities to practice their skills in critical thinking, thoughtful reading from a variety of sources, analytical writing, and both formal and extemporaneous speaking.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organizes, constructs, and communicates lessons clearly, following a syllabus and purposeful plan for each course that is revised over time as the course and program develop.
- Collaborates with department colleagues, grade level colleagues, and department chair to deliver a program that is consistent with school-wide expectations and standards.
- Incorporates appropriate and varied methods, materials, and technologies into teaching
- Incorporates topics appropriate to the developmental needs and the age of students being taught
- Returns students’ work in a timely fashion with prescriptive comments
- Stresses effective oral and written communication in all classes, and encourages careful listening skills
- Continues professional development in both subject matter and methods of teaching
- Utilizes challenging, thoughtful, fair, and varied instruments appropriate to the objectives of the course for evaluating and assessing student progress, performance and proficiency.
- Continues professional development in both subject matter and methods of teaching.
- Responds to evaluations from supervisors and students professionally and constructively.
- Understands and is compassionate to adolescent realities.
- Treats students equitably, is sincerely interested in them as individuals, and responds to their needs.
- Engages and encourages students in the active process of learning.
- Holds students accountable for their actions and their learning.
- Holds high expectations for all students and communicates these expectations clearly and regularly.
- Supports curriculum development at the school through committee participation.
- Actively engages in the life of the school as a student advisor and club mentor.
- Prior classroom teaching experience required: high school is highly preferred.
- Graduate degree or commensurate experience in a history-social science field preferred.
- Committed to academic excellence, exceptional teaching, and providing a dynamic climate for lifelong learning.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development in both subject matter and pedagogy.
Please send cover letter and resume along with a completed and signed Castilleja application to email@example.com. Please use US-HISTORYSS 2019 in the subject of your email. Please do not forward to individuals at Castilleja as we cannot guarantee proper response or distribution that way.