6th Grade Science Teacher (Full-time Aug-Dec '20)
Full-Time (August 2020 through December 2020)
Castilleja School offers an enriching, comprehensive and strategic Science curriculum to prepare our students for the promises and challenges of the 21st century. Our courses emphasize the understanding of science and the development of key analytical skills in a supportive environment that encourages student inquiry, engagement, and wonder. This rigorous, explorative experience encourages our students to appreciate all aspects of science. We seek applicants with a growth mindset, a proven track record in the ability to differentiate instruction, and an understanding of the unique character of Middle School students.
The 6th Grade course focuses on Earth and environmental Science. The Science teacher reports to the Science Department Chair and works closely with other Science teachers within the program. The Science teacher is responsible for planning, developing, and utilizing a syllabus and purposeful plan for each course, following established institutional guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, designs, and delivers lessons clearly, sharing the syllabus with students and communicating how each lesson advances their learning.
- Collaborates with department colleagues, grade level colleagues, and department head to deliver a program that is consistent with school-wide expectations and standards
- Utilizes challenging, thoughtful, fair, and varied tools appropriate to the objectives of the course for assessing student progress and evaluating student achievement
- Incorporates appropriate and varied methods, materials, and technologies into teaching
- Incorporates topics appropriate to the developmental needs and the age of students being taught
- Stresses effective oral and written communication in all classes, and encourages careful listening skills
- Returns students’ work in a timely fashion with prescriptive comments
- Continues professional development in both subject matter and methods of teaching
- Responds to evaluations from supervisors and students professionally and constructively
- Understands and values the unique character of the Middle School student
- Engages and encourages students in the active process of learning
- Holds high expectations for all students and communicates these expectations clearly and regularly
- Treats students equitably, is sincerely interested in them as individuals, and responds to their needs
- Supports curriculum development at the school through committee participation
- Actively engages in the life of the school as a student advisor, team member, and electives instructor
- Two to three years prior teaching experience in Middle School Science is required
- B.S. in Science or Engineering fields (focus on Earth Science or Environmental Science preferred) or equivalent experience
- Committed to academic excellence, exceptional teaching, and providing a dynamic climate for lifelong learning
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going professional development in both scientific content and pedagogy
- Clear commitment to enabling each student to succeed
*Free lunch everyday school is in session
*Employee Professional Development opportunities
*Beautiful Campus and location in Palo Alto
Please send cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com. Please use MSSCIENCE in the subject of your email. Please do not forward to individuals at Castilleja as we cannot guarantee proper response or distribution.