Math Teacher, 75% - Permanent position
Castilleja School offers an enriching, comprehensive and strategic Math curriculum to prepare our students for the challenges of the 21st century. Our courses emphasize the understanding of profound mathematical ideas and the development of key analytical skills in a supportive environment that encourages student inquiry, engagement, and wonder. This rigorous, explorative experience encourages our students to appreciate the power and beauty of mathematical ideas. We seek applicants with a growth mindset, a proven track record in the ability to differentiate instruction, and an understanding of the unique character of adolescent girls and MS/US transition.
The Math teacher reports to the Math Department Chair and works closely with other math teachers within the program. The Math teacher is responsible for planning, developing, and utilizing a syllabus and purposeful plan for each course, following established institutional guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitates student learning by organizing, constructing, and delivering lessons clearly, following a syllabus and purposeful plan for each course.
- Collaborates with department colleagues, grade level colleagues, and department head to deliver a program that is consistent with school-wide expectations and standards
- Utilizes challenging, thoughtful, fair, and varied tools appropriate to the objectives of the course for assessing student progress and evaluating student achievement
- Incorporates appropriate and varied methods, materials, and technologies into teaching
- Incorporates topics appropriate to the developmental needs and the age of students being taught
- Returns students’ work in a timely fashion with actionable comments
- Stresses effective oral and written communication in all classes, and encourages careful listening
- Continues professional development in both subject matter and methods of teaching
- Responds to evaluations from supervisors and students professionally and constructively
- Engages and encourages students in the active process of learning
- Holds high expectations for all students and communicates these expectations clearly and regularly
- Treats students equitably, is sincerely interested in them as individuals, and responds to their needs
- Supports curriculum development at the school through committee participation
- Actively engages in the life of the school as a student advisor, team member, and club or elective sponsor
- Prior teaching experience teaching Middle or Upper School Math is required
- B.S. in mathematics or related fields (Engineering, Computer Science), or equivalent experience
- Committed to academic excellence, exceptional teaching, and providing a dynamic climate for lifelong learning
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going professional development in both mathematics content and pedagogy
- Clear commitment to enabling each student to succeed
*Free lunch everyday school is in session
*Employee Professional Development opportunities
*Beautiful Campus and location in Palo Alto
Please send cover letter, resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use Math75% in the subject of your email. Please do not forward to individuals at Castilleja as we cannot guarantee proper response or distribution.