School Counselor (Part Time 50%, 10 month employee)

The School Counselor is a 50% FTE, 10-month position which is responsible for providing short-term counseling services to students in grades 6–12 at Castilleja School.  This person will collaborate and consult with parents, faculty and administrators regarding student academic and emotional needs. This person will provide outside referral services to students in need of long-term treatment. This position will report to the Director of Counseling.

Duties and Responsibilities:

  • Provide counseling services to students grades 6–12.
  • Crisis intervention.
  • Individual assessment and treatment planning.
  • Short term individual and group counseling services. 
  • Occasional long-term individual counseling (generally due to special circumstances).
  • Referrals to outside treatment providers.
  • Collaborate and consult with student’s individual therapists in the community.
  • Collaborate with teachers, advisors, deans, heads and parents to develop appropriate and effective plans to meet the individual needs of each student.
  • Parent consultation and collaboration (face to face or by phone).
  • Meet regularly with Deans, The Upper School Head and the Middle School Head to collaborate and consult around student issues.
  • Meet intermittently (as needed) with the Head of School, College Counselors and other individual faculty and staff to collaborate and consult around student issues.
  • Extensive knowledge of legal mandates regarding child abuse reporting.
  • Provide mental health education to parents of Castilleja students.
  • Provide presentations on adolescent development and emotional issues impacting their child(ren) to parents at each grade level (6–12).
  • Consult with the Wellness Department and help facilitate classroom based activities or discussions on an as needed basis.
  • As needed, support faculty and staff or lead discussions and learning on topics related to social and emotional well being.

Key Qualifications:
Minimum of a Masters degree from an accredited school for social work or a doctoral degree from an accredited school of psychology.  MFC or LCSW California clinical license is highly preferred.